The Exit Call-to-Action (CTA) is a pop-up that appears to visitors as they attempt to leave your career site. An exit CTA is a great way of driving conversions and capturing contact details before candidates disappear off to a different website. They can be used to invite candidates to:
- Join your talent network
- Register for an event
- Subscribe to a newsletter
- Download a PDF
Note: Exit CTAs cannot function on mobile devices. They work on the basis of popping up when a mouse pointer is moved outside of the browser content area/window. This happens generally when someone is about to close the tab. As mobile devices work on a touch basis, there is no concept of a mouse pointer.
Creating an Exit CTA
You can use an existing call-to-action or create a new one for use exclusively in an exit scenario. For more information refer to Creating and adding a recruiting call-to-action.
- Once you have a CTA ready for use, from the side menu, under Company click Settings.
- Under Web click Exit CTAs.
- Click the New button.
- On the New Exit CTA Configuration screen are the following settings:
- Call-to-action - select the CTA you with to use as your Exit CTA from the drop down
- Delay (in seconds) - set the delay, being the minimum time someone will have to spend on the web page in order for the Exit CTA to appear as they move to depart
- Effect - select the method used to introduce the Exit CTA
- Popup Size - select the required size
- What kind of candidates should see this CTA - select an audience for the Exit CTA, i.e. "Unknown Candidates" (anonymous career site visitors who have yet to submit any contact information) versus "All Candidates" ('unknowns' AND 'knowns,' i.e. those already in the CRM with first/last name and contact email details available)
Optional Header text - If you wish, you can enter some additional text that will appear in the popup / Exit CTA, for example:
Before you leave...
We'd love to keep in touch, why not join our talent network?
- Click the Save button.
Adding an Exit CTA to a page
The Exit CTA works at an individual page level; you can run one exit CTA across multiple pages on your careers site, or use different exit CTAs for different pages. You can assign an EXIT CTA to a page as follows:
- From the side menu, under Content click Web Pages.
- Click the Name of the relevant campaign.
- Next to the relevant page click the Actions icon, then Settings.
- In the Edit Page Settings pop up, click the Appearance & Behaviour tab.
- From the Exit CTA drop down, select the required item.
- Click the Save button.
Triggering the Exit CTA
The Exit CTA will be presented to the candidate if all the following criteria are met:
- The Exit CTA has been configured to appear on the page being viewed by the visitor
- The Exit CTA criteria have been meet (e.g. delay time)
- The Exit CTA has not been shown to this visitor before
- The visitor's mouse pointer leaves the browser window (usually when the user moves to the browser toolbar, tabs or window controls)
The Exit CTA can be styled in keeping with your company's brand guidelines for a consistent candidate experience.